Here are answers to some of our most frequently-asked questions.
Crooked Trails travel programs are a great fit for a large range of people, including independent travelers, families, couples and groups.
Are you . . .
In search of an authentic cultural experience outside of typical tourism?
Looking for travel experiences that provide both challenge and inspiration?
Seeking an alternate vacation experience that will expand your (or your family’s) understanding and connection to the world?
Eager to explore the planet and its diverse cultures in a sustainable way?
Searching for a one-of-a-kind journey which is custom-designed to provide you both support and independence?
Invested in long-term sustainability and in keeping your tourist dollars as local as possible?
You are responsible for some meals in country, airport departure taxes, international flights to the destination country, tips for local guides (if you wish), and any extra purchases you would like to make to support the local economy.
– Strong in-country networks and our depth of relationships with communities
– Small, intimate group size on our group programs
– Trip support from the moment you come on-board
– Special invitations that allow for authentic cultural immersion
– Experienced guides who engage you and enrich your experience
– Programs that respect nature and protect natural and human resources
– Benefits to our host communities – helping people where they need it most
– Sustains local economies through support of regional services
– An opportunity to learn, grow and be challenged in ways that will enrich your life
When you’re not the guests of locals during a home stay, we select comfortable and authentic accommodations, from stone guest lodges to bungalows and small hotels. As our trips are customizable, we can often offer different options based on budget and comfort level.
Crooked Trails supports the local economy by choosing lodging that is locally-owned.
All of our founder-led group programs are based on double occupancy; same-sex participants are matched up as roommates by our facilitators. If you wish to have your own room on a founder-led program, please let us know ahead of time and we can let you know if a single supplement option is available.
Should you need to withdraw from a program, the deposit is not refundable unless the program is cancelled. The balance of your payments will be refunded according to the refund policy (based on the number of weeks before departure), which is detailed on our Policies page.
You can read all of our policies here.